A collection of photos comparing a place about 100 years ago to the same place today
Lodz, Tuwima Street
1940s & today
Tremont St Mall
Temont St is not as straight as it once was. Trees obscure the view to Park St Church.
Lodz Town Hall entrance
The building was built in 1827 in classicist style. The left photo comes probably from the First World War.
Top: 1905 Postcard
Bottom: Same view in 2007
Bristol Bridge is not far away behind the camera, and Queen Charlotte Street is the turning on the near left. Some of the distant buildings still exist, as does the block on the right. Otherwise much has disappeared, including the imposing Swiss Restaurant on the immediate left. A tram is visible in the centre of the old view, and at least ten people are standing watching the photographer at work.
Shots were taken about 100 years away of each other.
7th of september, 1907 is only the postage date on the postcard so actual shot date is unknown.
Lodz, LegionÃ³w St.
Legionow (formerly Konstantynowska) St. Taken from Liberty Square (plac Wolnosci) to the west.
100 years ago and today
Sandy Park Road, Brislington
Top: postcard dated 1901
Bottom: similar view in 2007
Had to risk life and limb for this one, since the original camera position is in the middle of the road(!). A very recognisable view, with little change in its overall appearance. Interesting railings in the foreground of the early shot. Trees continue to thrive at the top of the road in the distance, and most of the chimney pots are still in place.
East Street, Bedminster
Top: undated postcard, probably 1910s.
This building at the corner of Boylston St and Fairchild St retains its basic shape and the windows are the same. The Hotel Lenox on the right hand of the street is still there. Today the Old South Church is obscured by trees.
Turning approximately 180 degrees from the previous photo, hereâ€™s a view of the end of Corn Street in about 1904 coupled with its modern equivalent. In stark contrast to the bomb-ravaged Wine Street and High Street areas, this part of the city is remarkably unchanged.
The building that occupies most of the picture is the Old Council House of 1827 which now serves as the Cityâ€™s Register Office (which transferred from Quakers Friars when the new Broadmead extensions began). Note how a new storey has been added to the top. The imposing statue on the parapet represents Justice, and I think is similar to the statue on the 1879 Magistrates Court building at Bridewell.
The large impressive columned edifice further left is the Lloyds Bank building (1854-57) by Gingell and Lysaght. Pedestrianisation of this part of Corn Street came in 1976.
Stanley Bagg mansion
The Robert Stanley Bagg mansion, Montreal 1900 and 2003